Angel Food Cake w/ Lemon Raspberry Cream Filling
A mouthwatering must make recipe during the summer!
Servings: 9 servings
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar plus 1 TB granulated sugar, separated
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 TB butter
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 4 oz reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel)
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups raspberries Can use fresh or frozen berries. If frozen, go for no sugar added and thaw. Reserve 1/4 cup of the berries after crushing/mashing them for filling.
- 1 cup blueberries Can use fresh or frozen berries. If frozen, go for no sugar added and thaw.
- 1 tsp honey
- 9, 1 inch thick slices angel food cake (you can make a box mix or buy premade)
- To make lemon curd mixture, place egg, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, and lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk ingredients until blended. Add butter and lemon zest; cook, whisking constantly until the mixture is thickened and coats the back of a metal spoon. Mixture should be smooth without bits or chunks. Transfer to a small bowl; let cool ~10 minutes. Place in refrigerator, covered until cold (~15-20 minutes).
- Pour cold whipping cream into a mixing bowl and mix until it thickens and small peaks begin to form (~2-3 minutes). After this time, add 1 tablespoon of reserved granulated sugar. Set aside. (NOTE: Start at lower speeds and gradually work up to high mixing speeds. Also, do not add in the sugar too soon or your cream will no whip and get fluffy.)
- In a separate small mixing bowl, beat softened cream cheese and cold lemon curd mixture until well blended and smooth. Gently fold this mixture to the whipping cream (do not beat). Next, gently fold in ¼ cup crushed raspberries to the cream mixture (do not beat).
- In a separate small bowl, mix the rest of the fruit with honey to create a berry mixture.
- To assemble, take 1 slice of angel food cake and slice in half. Spread ~1 tablespoon lemon raspberry cream on top angel food cake slice. Stack the second angel food cake slice on top and finish with another tablespoon of lemon raspberry cream mixture. Top with ~1/4 cup of fresh berry mixture.