Carne Picante Shredded Beef Tacos
This meat is SO flavorful, it will be hard to go back to takeout!
Servings: 16 servings
- 1 (~4 lb) sirloin, top round, or bottom round beef roast
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive, canola, or avocado oil
- 2 tsp Montreal steak seasoning optional
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ~1 cup beef broth (or enough to cover about bottom 1/3 of roast in slow cooker)
- 1 (5 oz) bottle hot pepper sauce (I use Cholula original hot sauce)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 large sweet or white onion (~1.5 cups)
- 2 (4 oz) cans diced green chilies
- In a frying pan, place olive oil and turn to medium heat. After oil is slightly warmed, place roast in pan until brown crust forms. Once both sides are brown, transfer roast beef to slow cooker. Sprinkle black pepper, garlic powder, and Montreal Steak Seasoning evenly over both sides of beef. Set to high heat setting.
- Add ~1 cup beef broth or enough to cover the bottom 1/3 of the roast. This keeps the roast from drying out. Pour hot pepper sauce over meat. Sprinkle chili powder and ground cayenne pepper over meat. Place chopped onion and green chilies over meat. Cook on high for 2-3 hours, and then low for 3-4 hours (or just do low for 8-10 hours). Meat should be tender. Assemble burritos, tacos, or salads with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- Note: Check every few hours if possible to make sure there is enough liquid in the bottom so meat will not burn. Reserve some cooking liquid to add back into meat.