Cheesy Ham & Potato Bake
This recipe is super easy and just darn good comfort food! It's a family favorite here!
Servings: 6 people
- ~2 pounds baker potatoes
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1.5-2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (can do half regular half low fat cheese too)
- 1-1.5 cups green peas, frozen (can also use corn or mix both)
- 1-2 cups precooked ham steak, chopped into bite size pieces (I use the hormel natural choice applewood smoked ham found at Walmart)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Wash dirt off potatoes and place in oven for ~55 minutes or until soft (internal temperature is best at 210°F). When done allow to cool until warm and then place in refrigerator for several hours (or overnight). NOTE: (I usually bake my potatoes the night before I make the meal. It makes the potatoes really soft and tender which is our favorite)
- Get cold/cool potatoes and cut off the skin. Cut cool potatoes into bite size pieces. Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9X13 glass dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a medium frying pan or saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour, salt, and pepper. Add the milk all at once and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens and bubbles. Remove from the heat and add ~1 cup of shredded cheese, stirring until combined and cheese in melted. Pour mixture over the potatoes and lightly mix.
- Gently toss in the peas and ham pieces (you can just throw the peas in frozen) over potato mix and lightly mix. Place remaining ~1/2 cup cheese over the top of the ham and potato mixture.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes -1 hour, or until everything is heated through (if you potatoes are cold it will need closer to an hour, if the potatoes are still warm it will need less time). Remove the foil the last 15 minutes or so. Enjoy!