Chicken Tortilla Soup
This healthy soup is also bursting with flavors that will bring you the ultimate comfort on a chilly day!
- 1 tbsp canola oil (or another neutral oil)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ cup brown or white rice ,optional
- ½ cup white onion, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 4 tsp chicken bouillon, reduced sodium
- 1 (~12oz) can canned chicken breast (or you can cook fresh to substitute)
- 1(~14oz) can black or pinto beans, drained & rinsed, no salt added
- 1 (14-16oz) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained, no salt added
- 1 (8oz) can tomato sauce, no salt added
- 1 (~14oz) can corn, no salted added (or ~1 cup frozen corn)
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 (4oz) can green chiles
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 6 6" round corn tortillas I used to make my own crispy tortilla strips
- 6 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 tbsp sour cream, reduced fat
- 2 tsp green onion, chopped
- In a large stock pot, over medium heat, add oil and cook onion, garlic, & cumin for ~2-3 minutes. Add rice and cook until slightly brown. Add water and bouillon. Add shredded chicken, tomatoes, beans, corn, tomato sauce, green chilies, and oregano. Cook until rice is done and ingredients are heated through (about ~15-20 minutes).
- While soup is cooking, spray a few sprays of cooking spray (I used avocado oil spray) into a frying pan. Using kitchen shears, cut tortillas into strips. Place tortilla strips into hot prepared pan and stir until they slightly brown and crisp up.
- When soup is done, top with tortilla strips, cheese, sour cream, cilantro, and green onion and enjoy!
You can substitute canned chicken for rotisserie chicken, or pan fry fresh chicken cubes before onion at beginning step using salt and pepper to season chicken. If you can’t find no salt added tomatoes or beans, don’t worry regular will work just fine.