My recipe has 68% less saturated fat, 2 g more fiber, and half the added sugars as other popular recipes, plus is still tastes delicious!Jump to Recipe
Zucchini bread is end of summer must have when you have a never ending supply of zucchini!
This recipe is one of my favorites because it tastes exactly like other popular zucchini bread recipes, but has ways less saturated fat and added sugars, even with the chocolate chips added in!
I made this bread last week and my 3-year-old loved it! He ate 2 slices the first day and asked for it every meal after that until it was gone!
To be honest, the chocolate chips are purely optional, but for my 3-year-old, it helps him get more excited about eating a new food (this was his first exposure to zucchini bread).
If this will help your family get excited about zucchini bread, know that I have created a recipe that is nutrition-conscious and even with a few chocolate chips added in, there is also whole grains, fiber, and way less saturated fat and added sugars than other recipes.
If you prefer zucchini bread without the chocolate chips, simply don’t add them in! You could substitute them for walnuts if you wanted to!
My Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread Recipe Makeover
My recipe has 68% less saturated fat, 2 g more fiber, and half the added sugars as other popular recipes, plus is still tastes delicious!
|Calories: 301||Calories: 270|
|Saturated Fat: 8 g||Saturated Fat: 2.5 g|
|Sodium: 241 mg||Sodium: 180 mg|
|Dietary Fiber: 1 g||Dietary Fiber: 3 g|
|Added Sugars: 26 g||Added Sugars: 13 g|
Easy Homemade Healthy Zucchini Bread
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 4 tbsp ground flax seed I get at Walmart
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg, ground
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups grated zucchini
- 1/4 cups mini chocolate chips, plus 2 Tbsp, divided optional
- 1. Heat oven to 350° F. Coat 9"— 5" loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- 2. Whisk together flours, ground flax seed, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, and nutmeg in large bowl. In another large bowl, whisk together oil, applesauce, and eggs. Stir in zucchini. Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients, mixing just enough to combine. Fold in ¼ cup chocolate chips.
- 3. Pour batter into prepared pan. Top with remaining 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips. Bake until wooden skewer inserted into center comes out clean, ~45-55 minutes in my oven. Cool 15 minutes in pan, then transfer bread to rack to cool completely before slicing.