Creamiest Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
This is another meal I make often. It's so creamy and delicious! The ultimate comfort food!
Servings: 8 servings
- 3 tbsp butter
- ½-1 lb beef hamburger, extra lean, 93/7% fat
- ½-1 Tbsp Montreal steak seasoning (or substitute for 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, or to your taste preference)
- 1 cup white or sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 10.5oz can cream of mushroom soup
- ⅛ cup water
- 8 oz carton mushrooms, sliced (can leave bigger or chop fairly fine)
- 4 oz reduced fat cream cheese, cut into small cubes
- 8 oz container reduced fat sour cream
- 16 oz bag egg noodles (can also serve with rice)
- Turn slow cooker to low setting. Place with crock pot plastic liner for easy cleaning. Place butter in large skillet on medium heat. When melted, place onion in pan to cook for 2-3 minutes. Then add hamburger, Montreal steak seasoning (or substitute for salt and pepper), garlic, and cook until meat is slightly browned. Transfer meat to slow cooker.
- Add cream of mushroom soup, water, mushrooms to slow cooker and stir. Cook on low for ~3-4 hours. (I like to occasionally check and make sure there is still liquid in the slow cooker to make sure it isn't burning.)
- about 30 minutes prior to eating, stir in cream cheese until it is well blended (small cubes work best). Stir in sour cream until it is well blended. Let the mixture warm back up for about 30 minutes. Serve over noodles (or rice).
Note: I usually use less hamburger to save on some saturated fat (I usually use about 1/2 lb for the recipe if it’s just for my family of 4). If I am feeding a larger crowd, I cook up to about 1lb hamburger to make it stretch!