You would never know this is the “healthier” version of double chocolate zucchini bread. It has 50% less added sugar and 70% less saturated fat than other popular recipesPrint Recipe
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread (lower added sugar)
You would never know this is the "healthier" version of double chocolate zucchini bread. It has 50% less added sugar and 70% less saturated fat than other popular recipes
Servings: 12 slices
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 med zucchini, grated (about 1.5 cups)
- 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (can use milk chocolate) reserve 1/4 of choc. chips to add on top of bread
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan by lining with parchment paper and then coating with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and ground flax seed. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs, applesauce, canola oil, vanilla extract, and brown sugar. Stir until smooth.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, don’t over mix. Stir in the shredded zucchini until just combined. Stir in 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips (reserve 1/4 for the top of the bread)
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips over the top of the bread. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out mostly clean (meaning no gooey batter). Watch closely because if it is over baked it will be dry.