You won’t miss the “Cream of Chicken” original when you try this very easy, extremely delicious Gluten Free Hawaiian Haystack recipe!
I like to top with toasted slivered almonds to give it some crunch since you have to skip the crunchy chow mein noodles.
Homemade Hawaiian Haystack Chicken Gravy (Gluten Free)
Chicken Gravy & Rice
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, diced (skinless, boneless) I like getting the garlic herb or original flavor
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup sweet onion, finely diced (white or yellow onion work too)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (add more too taste)
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour (I get Bob Red Mill's Brand)
- 2 cups reduced fat milk (1% or 2%)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tsp better than bouillon chicken base, reduced sodium
- 4 cups cooked rice, according to pkg instructions (can use white or brown)
Hawaiian Haystack Toppings
- 1/2 cup black olives, diced
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup green onion, diced
- 1/2 cup canned mandarin oranges, packed in 100% fruit juice
- 1/4 cup pineapple, diced (can use fresh or canned)
- In a skillet or frying pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add diced onion and cook until onion is translucent and cooked (about 3-5 minutes). Add garlic and cook until fragrant (~1-2 minutes). In a separate saucepan, cook rice according to package instructions.
- Slowly sprinkle about 1-2 Tbsp of brown rice flour at a time to the butter mixture in pan, stirring with a whisk. Continue adding 1-2 Tbsp of brown rice flour until the flour is gone. Mixture should be dry and almost look like it's formed a "dough".
- Add chicken base to hot water and mix until dissolved to make chicken broth. Slowly add 1-2 TB of milk and chicken broth to the flour mixture at a time, stirring with a whisk until a sauce forms. Do not add too much milk too fast or the sauce will not form and you will have huge pieces of flour in your sauce (gross!)
- Let the sauce simmer until it starts to thicken. Add diced chicken to the sauce. Add pepper. Stir the sauce and let simmer until the sauce has thickened to your liking, turning down the heat, if needed.
- To assemble, place rice on the bottom, chicken gravy on top, and add toppings as desired. Topping ideas: Olives, cheese, green peas, sliced almonds, steamed broccoli, bell peppers, pineapple, mandarin oranges, shredded coconut, or anything else you might enjoy!