“Lighter” Pumpkin Spice Cake w/ Cream Cheese Frosting
I took our family favorite recipe and lowered the added sugar and saturated fat but you won't taste the difference!
Servings: 30 2×2″ Square pieces of cake
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup low fat, plain yogurt, no sugar added
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 2¼ cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 ¼ cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ tsp cloves
- 4 oz reduced fat cream cheese (Neufchatel), softened
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray non-stick cooking spray in cookie sheet (~12×18" cookie sheet pan). Mix eggs, yogurt, vanilla, applesauce, pumpkin, and sugars in a large mixing bowl. Beat until well combined and smooth. Add in flours, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves. Mix until well combined but don't overstir.
- Pour cake mixture into prepared cookie sheet pan. Bake for ~20 minutes or until toothpick test yields a few crumbs when inserted into the middle of the cake.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla with a hand-mixer until well combined. Add powdered sugar and beat until mixture is well combined, smooth, and creamy. When cake has cooled, frost cake and top with sprinkled cinnamon or chocolate shavings, if desired. I prefer this cake chilled and place it in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.