This is a family favorite for BBQ season! It is light and goes great with any BBQ dish
This recipe is sure to be a winner! I love how fresh and light it tastes. It is a great alternative to many high fat salads that are typically prepared for potlucks and BBQs. Plus, its absolutely delicious. It incorporates sweetness from the corn, savory from the low fat feta cheese, tang from the lime juice, and spicy from the jalapeno & cayenne pepper!
The best part about this dish is that it has so much flavor and is actually a lighter version than the original recipe! Food should look good and taste good, and this recipe definitely qualifies for both of those requirements!
It does make a lot so it is a great dish to take to a potluck, BBQ, or family dinner! Enjoy!
Healthy Mexican Street Corn Salad
- 8 cups corn, extra sweet (can be fresh, canned, or frozen)
- 4 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- ½-1 jalapeno (use less for less heat)
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper (red, green, orange, and/or yellow)
- 1 small avocado
- 2/3 cup cilantro leaves finely chopped
- 4 oz cojita cheese
- 1/2-1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 5 tbsp light mayo (I prefer Best Foods)
- 4 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2-1 tsp cayenne pepper (use less for less heat)
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Briefly heat oil in pan and add corn. Cook for about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 4-5 minutes
- While corn is cooking, whisk together light mayonnaise, garlic, lime juice, cayenne pepper, and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Dice jalapeno, bell Pepper, avocado, and red onion into small pieces and combine in a serving bowl. Add dressing and stir. Gently fold in cilantro and crumbled cheese. Top with fresh lime juice. Serve immediately.
- If you are making this ahead of time, hold off on mixing in the cheese and avocado until right before you serve. If not, the avocado will go brown and the cheese may get soggy. I usually cut the avocado, pour lime juice on it (this will prevent your avocado from turning brown), and toss the crumbled cheese and the avocado in right before I am ready to serve.
- I love to eat this salad with tortilla chips (like chips and salsa). You can also top it on rice, burrito bowls, or really any dish 🙂
- If you have leftovers, remember to place them in the fridge in a timely manner and it keeps pretty well 1-2 days (if avocado is left out and added right before serving).
Leave a Reply