Minestrone Basil Soup
The recipe is so easy and when you add a parmesan crusted grilled cheese to dip in it, it makes it heavenly!
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large white or sweet onion, chopped
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1½ cups zucchini, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 (28oz) can petite diced tomatoes, no salt added, undrained
- 1 (14oz) can petite diced tomatoes, no salt added, undrained (could also forgo the 28oz can and just do 3, 14 oz cans too 🙂 )
- 6 cups water
- 6 tsp chicken bouillon, preferably low sodium
- 1 (15oz) can beans, drained & rinsed, unsalted (cannellini or kidney are good choices)
- ½ cup whole grain pasta (can use regular pasta too. My favorite is the Barilla protein plus pasta)
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese – optional
- Heat oil in large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrots, and cook until tender. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add zucchini, oregano, basil, pepper and cook for about 2 more minutes.
- Add tomatoes, water, and chicken bouillon and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-15minutes (or until veggies are tender).
- Add beans and pasta and cook ~8-10 more minutes until pasta is tender. Top with parsley and Parmesan cheese or serve with grilled cheese sandwiches.
Leave a Reply