Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich
My secret ingredient is red wine vinegar which adds a depth of the yummy savory beef flavor!
Servings: 6 sandwiches
- 2-3 lb sirloin roast, trimmed of excess fat (or other leaner cut of beef roast like bottom round)
- 1 tbsp Montreal Steak Seasoning (or substitute for 1 tsp salt & 1 tsp pepper)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 3 tsp better than bouillon beef bouillon
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large white or sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 3 gloves minced garlic
- 6 rolls crusty bread works best
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- Turn slow cooker to low setting and place a plastic crock pot liner in
- Place oil in large skillet over medium-low heat. Pat dry beef roast with paper towel and press Montreal steak seasoning (or salt and pepper) onto both sides of roast. Place beef roast in skillet and sear both sides of the meat, until meat is browned (~3 minutes each side). This gives your au jus wonderful flavor! Transfer roast to the slow cooker. Pour red wine vinegar into skillet to deglaze the pan (stirring to get all those crispy flavorful bits off the pan and into the red wine vinegar mixture.) Pour red wine vinegar mixture over roast in slow cooker.
- Heat water in a microwave safe bowl and combine with beef bouillon to create broth. Pour over beef roast. Add sliced onion, Worcestershire sauce, and minced garlic. Cook on low for 5-6 hours, or until beef is tender.
- When ready to eat, Preheat oven to 375°F or on broil. Remove & shred beef removing excess fat. Using a fat separator or strainer, strain juice from onion. Juice will be your au jus dipping sauce. You can save the onion for your sandwich, if you want to. Cut crusty bread in half lengthwise and melt cheese and toast bread in the oven (watch carefully as it burns quickly. Top beef on crusty bread & melted cheese. Dip in your au jus and enjoy!