Whole Grain Lemon Blueberry Muffins
A easy way to get a few extra nutrients into a tasty muffin your family will love!
Servings: 18 muffins
- Nonstick Cooking spray
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups applesauce, unsweetened
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plain whole fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 TB lemon zest
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg or cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries, washed
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray standard size muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. (you can use muffin liners too but spray the inside of the liners with cooking spray to prevent sticking to liner.)
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat together sugar and eggs until mixture is light yellow and slightly fluffy (~1 minute on high with hand mixer). Whisk in applesauce, yogurt, milk, vanilla, lemon zest, and ground nutmeg or cinnamon. Stir the flours, ground flax seed, baking powder, and baking soda in a separate bowl and mix into the wet mixture just enough to combine. Do not overmix batter. Gently stir in fresh blueberries.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin pan (~1/4 cup per muffin). Bake for about 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the muffins comes out clean. Do not overbake.